A DJ Doesn’t Just Play Music

0 Comments
A DJ Doesn’t Just Play Music

TOP GLOBAL DJs

Tiësto

Trance / Progressive House / Electro House

Tiësto
David Guetta

House / Commercial Dance

David Guetta
Skrillex

Dubstep / Electro House

Skrillex
deadmau5

Progressive House / Electro House / Trance

deadmau5
John Digweed

Electronic / House / Techno

John Digweed

Comments  (0)

Dec 9, 2015 —  Being a DJ seems pretty straightforward at face value. However in this day and age, a successful DJ does much more than unleash the hottest playlists as you will soon learn. In fact, being a DJ requires many different elements working together. Aside from musical talents, a DJ must also play the role of event planner, promoter, host, and entertainment.

Let’s take a more in-depth look at this concept below:

Event Planning Success

For some folks, the idea of a DJ stirs up images of lanky disc jockeys with backwards-facing visors, whipping a record haphazardly around a turntable. While that may still be somewhat true, the role of a DJ has grown exponentially over the last decade or two, branching into various different sectors such as branding, marketing, and event planning.

The DJs that can adapt to this jack-of-all-trades role are the ones who will typically survive. The others will likely end up jockeying beats from their bedroom wondering why they can’t make it. With that being said, it should be rather apparent now why planning and throwing successful parties are vital tools in the DJ industry.

Successful party planning can conjure up a plethora of benefits for both amateur and seasoned DJs. Of those benefits, two in particular are crucial. First, is networking. By planning and promoting various parties and events, DJs can create a portal in which to be recognized by promoters, party planners, and fans. Aside from recognition, event planning allows a DJ to pursue the type of music he or she truly enjoys. For instance, instead of playing the same old pop hits saturating the radio, a DJ can set up a bass-thumping dubstep playlist.

Promotion

Planning an event is one thing, but getting the word out about such an event is totally different. Think of it this way, an event really isn’t an event at all if there is no one there to enjoy it. Therefore, to achieve any real success with planning and hosting an event, a DJ must do a little marketing beforehand.

Modern marketing techniques primarily involve virtual promotion. This type of marketing is generally referred to as digital marketing. One of the primary outlets used in digital marketing are social media outlets such as Facebook and Twitter, among others. DJs can create online groups and fan pages, broadcast playlist previews, and even create flyers and brochures outlining an upcoming event. Not only does this type of marketing work with the local community, but also with national and even international audiences.

DJs can also use more traditional forms of advertising such as newspaper ads, community bulletin boards, and radio commercials. However, many DJs are turning to the world of promotional products which are essentially mass-produced items that are branded with any number of things such as a logo, contact details, even information, and so on and so forth. There are many different promotional products trends gaining popularity, which is why many DJs are taking advantage of it.

A Word of Caution

As with any career path, there are a number of pitfalls and drawbacks that can occur. With the DJ industry though, the number one problem arises when a DJ throws an event merely just to have a venue to play at. While having a place to play is fantastic, allowing that to be the sole reason for planning an event can quickly lead to catastrophic failure.

Remember, hosting an event should be at an 80:20 ratio. In other words, 80% of the reason behind throwing the event should be the public, while the remaining 20% should be about you. The public is what generates your fans, reputation, and ultimate career success. Therefore, the main focus of your event should be the public.

Want to be an insider for all the things to do in Los Angeles? Sign up for our weekly email and get in the know today!

Book Now and Save at Hotels.com

Are we missing a venue or event?
Find your scene